copyright Lingaun Valley © 2020
The Victoria slate quarries were a major industrial enterprise in the 19th century. Altough it is thought that slate was quarried here as far back as the 14th century with locals transporting the slate to near by towns for sale. The site was acquried by Victoria Slate Company in 1863. At its height the quarry employed about 90 men. Production ceased in 1911. There was a sister quarry on the opposite bank of the river in Kilkenny known as Ormond quarry. That continued to operate until 1930s.