Carrigadoon Hill has a large well preserved hill fort on top dated from approx 1300 BC. This hill fort has commanding views of the surrounding countryside.
There was a monster meeting on the top of Slievenamon on July 16, 1848 where 50,000 people were addressed by Thomas Francis Meagher and John Michell. People were angry after the famine which saw the population of South Tipperary drop from 284k to 184k in ten years and also having seen so much food exported! The tricolour had been brought back from France and unveiled in Waterford in May of that year and was seen as a flag of unity and peace. But Mitchell and Meager were arrested and sent to Van Diemans land, Meagher went on to escape to America and become a General in the union army and later Governor of Montana. The people were poorly armed or trained and most British regiments were still in Ireland.
In 1848 a band of Young Irelanders held a siege in Mullinahone and set up camp on the old hill fort at Carrigadoon, North of Faugheen. They overlooked the fertile valley, the two regiments and the harvest of corn underway, and they were led by John O Mahony from Ballyneill. He went on to found the fenian movement in the USA in 1858 with James Stephens and died in poverty in New York.
The Hill was also a hideout for rebel Dan Breen during the fight for Irish freedom.